Genealogy 101 is a curated blog for anyone interested in family history research. In addition to original content, it also includes links to a growing number of research support articles, archives and other resources. If you have questions or comments, please take advantage of WordPress’s commenting system at the bottom of each page or post to ask questions or offer your own tips.
Blogs are unique in that their content – called posts – is displayed in reverse chronological order with the most recent post at the top of the screen. On the right above the sidebar you see three buttons. The button on the left displays the menu. The center button displays the widgets panel and the button on the right will open the site’s search box. Use this to quickly find content related to a specific topic. The front page shows the most recent posted content and will display older content when you click the “Older Posts” button at the bottom of the list. In the sidebar you will find several more widgets. Use the Topics items to present articles assigned to that topic. Each article posted here is assigned one or more tags – also known as keywords. In the sidebar you will find a Tag Cloud. Click any tag to present all the articles assigned that tag. You will notice that some tags listed in the tag cloud are shown in a larger font size. The larger the tag, the more articles related to that keyword. Further down the sidebar are widgets used to have new site content delivered to your email inbox or the newsreader of your choice.
Thanks to the commenting features included in WordPress, Genealogy 101 is also a social network. You’ll find a comment box at the bottom of every post. It works much like Facebook status updates where you can post a comment, like someone else’s comment and even reply to someone else’s comment. Stop by The Cafe to introduce yourself and meet other researchers.
The cost to operate Genealogy 101 is supported thanks to Amazon and Apple’s affiliate programs. When readers follow the link to a book, device or app mentioned on the site and make a purchase, I earn a small commission. It costs you nothing but helps keep this site operational.
DISCLAIMER: This group blog includes information about outside services, platforms and apps that can help your research efforts. These items are presented as information only and do not imply any official endorsement by the author.
- Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article or visit the Cafe and start an “open thread”.
- Be respectful of other commenters – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
- Don’t feed the trolls – Carefully consider your response if you encounter a user who displays combative behaviors.
- We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spammy, off-topic, or harassing may be removed.
- Contact our moderators if you have questions or concerns – We can be reached at: moultriecreek @ yahoo.com.